Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/29/15 6:19 AM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 5:27 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us <mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>> wrote:
>  >
>  > Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello@gmail.com <mailto:fabriziomello@gmail.com>> writes:
>  > > But I'm thinking about this patch and would not be interesting to have a
>  > > FDW to manipulate the hba file? Imagine if we are able to manipulate the
>  > > HBA file using INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE.
>  >
>  > Since the HBA file is fundamentally order-dependent, while SQL tables
>  > are fundamentally not, that doesn't seem like a great API match.  You
>  > could probably brute-force something that would work, but it would very
>  > much be a case of using a hammer to solve a screwdriver problem.
>  >

> Maybe, but my intention is provide an easy way to edit HBA entries. With an extension or API to edit HBA entries many
developersof PostgreSQL tools (ie. pgadmin, phppgadmin, etc) will be benefited.

> Perhaps a fdw can't be the best choice, maybe a complete new SQL syntax to manipulate HBA entries like we did with
ALTERSYSTEM. It's just some thoughts about it.

Aside from Tom's concern about sets not being a good way to handle this (which I agree with), the idea of "editing"
pg_hba.confvia SQL raises all the problems that were brought up when ALTER SYSTEM was being developed. One of the big
problemsis a question of how you can safely modify a text file that's full of comments and what-not. You'd need to
addressthose issues if you hope to modify pg_hba.conf via SQL.

От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: File based Incremental backup v8
От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: jsonb, unicode escapes and escaped backslashes