Re: Installing 9.6 RC on Ubuntu [Solved]

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: Installing 9.6 RC on Ubuntu [Solved]
Дата
Список pgsql-general

In case it is useful for reference, I beat my head on it a bit more and
replaced "main" with "9.6":
deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ xenial-pgdg 9.6

Yes, that is an FAQ item:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt/FAQ

Yes, but to quote Douglass Adams, "It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard'."

If I might be so bold, one or more of the following would make life easier on users and perhaps get more people to test:

1. Change the wording in the main postgresql.org announcement to be "Download RC1" and link directly to https://www.postgresql.org/download/snapshots/

2. Bring non Red Hat releases up to parity.

By way of example, from the snapshots page clicking on the link under Red Hat (and variants) takes you to http://yum.postgresql.org/ page where 9.6 beta is right at the top. From there all you have to do is select your release of choice.

By comparison, follow the https://apt.postgresql.org/ link under Debian, Ubuntu Linux and you are redirected to the wiki where, if you are fortunate, you will find "Have a look at the FAQ." nestled about half-way down then dig through that page. I never got there but figured it out by clicking through the file browser after wasting time seeing lots of 9.6 utilities/addons already listed but broken due to the lack of availability of the actual server and client.

I know this is open source. I know that people work on their "itch" or what their employer sponsors. I'm just sharing the user experience should it provide value and increase the number of testers.

Cheers,
Steve

Сообщение: Re: select date between - PostgreSQL 9.5
Сообщение: Re: select date between - PostgreSQL 9.5