Re: Installing 9.6 RC on Ubuntu [Solved]

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Installing 9.6 RC on Ubuntu [Solved]
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 09/13/2016 11:23 AM, Steve Crawford wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Steve Crawford
> <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com <mailto:scrawford@pinpointresearch.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     I'm trying to install 9.6 RC1 on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial on my laptop
>     and it seems broken.
>
>     Installation of 9.6 RC1 on Centos was straightforward by comparison
>     - just add the 9.6 yum package and install. Unfortunately Ubuntu
>     seems second-class by comparison.
>
>     I already have /etc/apt.repos.d/pgdg.list with:
>     deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/
>     <http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/> xenial-pgdg main
>
>     This works and I previously installed the PGDG 9.5 package without
>     issue. Apt lists numerous 9.6 support packages (unit, repmgr,
>     repack, plv8, ...) but with unsatisfied dependencies due to the
>     lasck of postgresql-9.6.
>
>     I tried adding -testing to the repo but no joy:
>     deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/
>     <http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/> xenial-pgdg-testing main
>
>     Is packaging just not complete or am I missing something? (I had
>     hoped that getting configured for testing would be more friction-free.)
>
>     Cheers,
>     Steve
>

> In case it is useful for reference, I beat my head on it a bit more and
> replaced "main" with "9.6":
> deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ xenial-pgdg 9.6

Yes, that is an FAQ item:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt/FAQ

I want to try the beta version of the next PostgreSQL release

WARNING: The data format changes between alpha releases, and
occasionally beta releases. Be prepared to pg_dump the database contents
before you upgrade the package to a newer alpha/beta or to a final
release. Check the release notes before upgrading.

We ship packages for alpha and beta releases, but like in the previous
FAQ entry, we have only one version of libpq5 in the main archive
component. To use packages of postgresql-9.6, you need to add the 9.6
component to your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list entry, so the 9.6
version of libpq5 will be available for installation:

deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ jessie-pgdg main 9.6

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com