Re: Known issues on PostgreSQL server 8.1.19

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: Known issues on PostgreSQL server 8.1.19
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 1:53 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> writes:
>> On 12/17/2015 8:30 AM, Millepied, Pascal (GE Healthcare) wrote:
>>> We are using PostgreSQL server 8.1.19 in our product and as part of
>>> SDLC activities,
>>> we would like to know about the Known Issues present in this version.
>>> Could you tell us if there is new known issue on this release since
>>> last year?
>
>> PostgreSQL 8.1 is long out of support and well past end of life. 8.1.19
>> was released in 2009, the final 8.1 release was 8.1.23 was in 2010.
>
> That means in particular that no one has even bothered to track "known
> issues" in 8.1 since 2010.  It'd be a reasonable bet for example that many
> of the issues that were fixed in 8.2 after 8.2.19 are also in 8.1, but no
> one associated with the project has checked.  And 8.2 went out of support
> a year later, so it'd only be a good guide to the next year's worth of
> fixes.  It's not exactly uncommon for us to make fixes that go into all
> active branches and would probably apply to older ones if we were still
> supporting them.

How crazy would it be to emit a log message when Postgres comes up and
discovers that time has moved past the advertised
known-five-years-in-advance EOL date for the executable's major
release?  (And perhaps another kind of message when the executable's
minor release is certainly too old, though I have no idea when that
would be...)

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com