Re: Known issues on PostgreSQL server 8.1.19

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Known issues on PostgreSQL server 8.1.19
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Thomas Munro wrote:

> How crazy would it be to emit a log message when Postgres comes up and
> discovers that time has moved past the advertised
> known-five-years-in-advance EOL date for the executable's major
> release?  (And perhaps another kind of message when the executable's
> minor release is certainly too old, though I have no idea when that
> would be...)

I don't think it's likely that sysadmins that leave their systems
without updates for so long would even consider the idea of looking at
the log files -- much less look for warnings emitted at server start.

People familiar with Postgres would probably notice such a warning, of
course, but we would immediately notice that the minor/major version is
out support just as well.