Re: PITR WAL Restore and configuration

От Techie
Тема Re: PITR WAL Restore and configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thanks man, I think I understand  after re-reading the PITR WAL documentation a little better. I think that I need the WAL log or logs mentioned in the .backup file.

So for example when I run the pg_start_bkup and pg_stop_backup It outputs something like this into the .backup file

START WAL LOCATION: 111/CD000020 (file 0000000200000111000000CD)
STOP WAL LOCATION: 111/CD0000A8 (file 0000000200000111000000CD)
CHECKPOINT LOCATION: 111/CD000020
BACKUP METHOD: pg_start_backup
BACKUP FROM: master
START TIME: 2014-08-02 01:15:10 CDT
LABEL: master_backup
STOP TIME: 2014-08-02 01:16:34 CDT

This means that in ordrt to restore this base backup I need the contents of the base backup and this WAL log 0000000200000111000000CD, is that correct?

If so I can reference the latest .backup file in the pg_xlog directory for the base backup.. I think thi is how it works.

Thanks
Jimmy

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 9:12 AM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:
Techie <techchavez@gmail.com> wrote:

> let's say for example I want to restore the Base Backup from 6
> months ago, I only have the Base Backups.. Will I be able to
> recover to that point in time using that Base backup?

Not without all of the WAL files from the point pg_start_backup()
was run until the point pg_stop_backup() was run.  Earlier WAL
files won't matter.  You will be able to restore to any point in
time from when pg_stop_backup() onward as long as you have an
unbroken series of WAL files (and any .history files which were
generated).

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: Re: PITR WAL Restore and configuration
Сообщение: Re: PITR WAL Restore and configuration