Re: [GENERAL] Looking for an online mentor

От Metare Solve
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Looking for an online mentor
Дата
Re: [GENERAL] Looking for an online mentor
Re: [GENERAL] Looking for an online mentor
Список pgsql-general
Sorry, I got on so many lists yesterday. I'm really not that dense.

I have absolutely no language programming skills and it is very very frustrating. I can HTML and that's it. I desperately want to develop the skills but whenever I try on my own, I hit the same wall as I do with SQL. I'm just bad at the deep dives into code and really need some honest help. I kind of had this kind of help at my old job but I got laid off on 11/30 and I don't think it's appropriate to ask them anymore.

SQL experience: Only MS Access. I know it sucks, but it's all my boss "let" me use (it didn't occur to me for a while to pursue it on my own after she told me "no" for whatever odd reason she had). But! I can use that GUI like a champ. I used Access for all of my data crunching, my biggest record set was 600k so I didn't need anything more powerful. The reason I think I can learn SQL with just a bit of guidance is I know the concepts behind "where" and "group buys" and "unique," etc, but I miss a ; and get an error and then get frustrated.

Purpose of the project:

Eh, a bunch of things.

- The project is to build my Tableau skills, for one. There are a lot of (work from home) jobs out there that call for Tableau skills and I know the best way to learn something is to do it. I think using the SQL database as a source will enable me to learn a lot of things in one stroke.

- The project will also give me a product (eventually multiple) to embed on a website when I start looking for "clients," or what have you. Just starting a portfolio.

- I have two projects, one of them is to analyze crime rates around the moon phases. Just a question my dad once posed as a science project that I blew off. Now seems kind of interesting to me to pursue. Will give me date experience, mapping if I want it, can go down to the precinct level, etc. The other is some data I've been collecting for about 15 months on a pixel dragon game I play. I want to build a dashboard to manage my lair/income/value, etc. That is definitely where the SQL database comes in. I think the moon one is just data blending.

- To give me intellectual stimulation because I am a nerd.

Just a note, I'm a female gen x with a master's degree in library and information science. I took a database design class in grad school and it was the biggest waste of money and time. lol, I wish I'd had these project ideas then, I could have gone to the teacher with them.

Meta