will this upgrade strategy work?

От Mark Steben
Тема will this upgrade strategy work?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Good afternoon, team.

We wish to do a postgres upgrade from 9.4 to 9.6.  In order to minimize downtime we were thinking to do this:
  1. bring postgres down (9.4 is on 'diskset 1')
  2. do a physical copy of the data to 'diskset 2' (same phyxical server.
  3.  do an inplace pg_upgrade  to 9.6 on 'diskset 2'
  4.  Bring postgres up on 9.6 diskset 2
 This way we have 9.4 on diskset 1 to fall back on.

This would work much faster than the traditional dump restore.

Any comments welcome.  Thanks.

--
Mark Steben
 Database Administrator