Re: How can we get the word out about the change in version numbering?

От Brendan Jurd
Тема Re: How can we get the word out about the change in version numbering?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 at 09:21 Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
Folks,

If you'd somehow missed it, we are going from three-part to two-part
version numbers.  That is, the next release is 9.6.0, but the major
release after that is 10.0.  10.1 will be the first patch release on
version 10.

Let's update the page at https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/ to explain that "10" will be the next major number after "9.6".

We can add 9.6 and 10 to the table now, with "TBA" for the dates, to make this more visually obvious.  Maybe change the table caption from "EOL Dates" to "PostgreSQL Major Versions".

Then at least we have somewhere authoritative to point people if they are confused about the versioning scheme.

We might also want to add some guff about this to https://www.postgresql.org/developer/roadmap/

Cheers,
BJ