Re: [GENERAL] Postgres backup solution

От Stuart Bishop
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Postgres backup solution
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 15 March 2017 at 03:04, John McKown <john.archie.mckown@gmail.com> wrote:

> Your message is not diplaying. At least not for me. I guess that my reader
> does not understand the "smime.p7m" file, which shows as an attachment. For
> others, his question is:
>
> === original question from Lawrence Cohan ===
>
> Yes, this is what I intended to ask:
>
> What would be a recommended solution for backing up a very large Postgres
> (~13TeraBytes) database in order to prevent from data deletion/corruption.
> Current setup is only to backup/restore to a standby read-only Postgres
> server
> via AWS S3 using wal-e however this does not offer the comfort of keeping a
> full backup available in case we need to restore some deleted or corrupted
> data.

'wal-e backup-push' will store a complete backup in S3, which can be
restored using 'wal-e backup-fetch'. And since you are already using
wal-e for log shipping, you get full PITR available.

pg_dump for a logical backup is also a possibility, although with 13TB
you probably don't want to hold a transaction open that long and are
better off with wal-e, barman or other binary backup tool.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/