Re: archive falling behind

От Strahinja Kustudić
Тема Re: archive falling behind
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
What does your shell script do that you need a script for archiving? The archive command is usually a cp/scp/rsync command, you usually don't need more than that.

Regards,
Strahinja

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at> wrote:
German Becker wrote:
> Here is the archive part of the config:
>
> archive_mode = on               # allows archiving to be done
>                                 # (change requires restart)
> archive_command = '/var/lib/postgresql/scripts/archive_copy.sh %p %f'           # command to use to
> archive a logfile segment
> #archive_timeout = 0            # force a logfile segment switch after this
>                                 # number of seconds; 0 disables

So the problem might be in that script.

> The archive coommand makes a local copy and then it copies to the backup server via ssh. Both copies
> are md5-checked and retried up to 3 times in case of failure.

archive_command should not retry the operation, but rather
return a non-zero return code.

> I have seen under heavy load that some WALs are skipped, some have less size, some are corrupted (i,e,
> the loop fails 3 times).
> I'm not sure about the return value (checking it). What is the expected behaviour of the archiver?
> Will it retry de archive if archive command returns differnt than 0? Will it retain the WAL segment
> until it is succesfuly archived?

See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-ARCHIVING-WAL

archive_command should exit with zero only if the
WAL segment was archived successfully.
PostgreSQL will retry and retain the WAL segment until
archival succeeds.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe