Re: Moving to git

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: Moving to git
Дата
Re: Moving to git  (Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au>)
Список pgsql-jdbc
On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 5:01 AM, Mike Fowler <mike@mlfowler.com> wrote:

>> Dave Cramer <pg 'at' fastcrypt.com> writes:
>>
>>> While moving to git has been in the back of my mind the work
>>> involved to maintain the history from CVS is not trivial.
>>
>> Can you elaborate a little bit? Maybe some others could help.
>>
>> Personally I used git-cvsimport to move a few CVS repos of mine
>> to git and I was surprised how smooth it was. And it of course
>> automatically rebuilds multi files commits out of CVS history
>> automatically. Yet, I never used CVS as a pro and didn't
>> branch[1] so I may have had simpler situations than JDBC source.
>>

> Having watched the traffic on the Hackers mailing list during their
> migration to Git from CVS it seemed a difficult and lengthy process which
> included one aborted attemt. From memory the difficulties faced was
> preserving history correctly becuase of the introduction of "ghost"
> commits by the tool. Some threads of interest include:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-07/msg00217.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-08/msg01117.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-08/msg01077.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-08/msg01247.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-08/msg01263.php
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Mike Fowler
> Registered Linux user: 379787

Well before anything happens we need to get buy in from Kris Jurka who
has been shouldering most of the responsibility for the driver for the
past few years.

As I said it was presumptuous to just jump on the list and say "I want
to move the source to git" without introducing oneself, or
communicating with anyone here first.

My comment about "thinking about it" was just that, I have
contemplated it. I also have not talked to Kris or Oliver  about
moving to git. So before we get too far down the road I think it's
important to have an open discussion about whether we want to move to
git.

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca