Re: Moving to git

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Moving to git
Дата
Re: Moving to git  (Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com>)
Список pgsql-jdbc
On 03/10/11 19:04, Dave Cramer wrote:

>>> Can you elaborate a little bit? Maybe some others could help.
>>>
>>> Personally I used git-cvsimport to move a few CVS repos of mine
>>> to git and I was surprised how smooth it was. And it of course
>>> automatically rebuilds multi files commits out of CVS history
>>> automatically. Yet, I never used CVS as a pro and didn't
>>> branch[1] so I may have had simpler situations than JDBC source.
>>>

>> Having watched the traffic on the Hackers mailing list during their
>> migration to Git from CVS it seemed a difficult and lengthy process which
>> included one aborted attemt. From memory the difficulties faced was
>> preserving history correctly becuase of the introduction of "ghost"
>> commits by the tool. Some threads of interest include:
>>
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-07/msg00217.php
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-08/msg01117.php
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-08/msg01077.php
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-08/msg01247.php
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-08/msg01263.php
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Mike Fowler
>> Registered Linux user: 379787
>
> Well before anything happens we need to get buy in from Kris Jurka who
> has been shouldering most of the responsibility for the driver for the
> past few years.
>
> As I said it was presumptuous to just jump on the list and say "I want
> to move the source to git" without introducing oneself, or
> communicating with anyone here first.

Yeah - sorry I jumped in so enthusiastically on that. I hadn't taken a
good look at the From: field, and thought it was one of the main JDBC folks.

FWIW, I'd love to see a move to git both for consistency with the main
project and for the much, MUCH better facilities for external contribution.

To what extent is *perfect* history reproduction required for PgJDBC?

--
Craig Ringer