Re: [HACKERS] GUC for cleanup indexes threshold.

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: [HACKERS] GUC for cleanup indexes threshold.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 6:55 PM, Alexander Korotkov
<a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 12:00 PM Alexander Korotkov
> <a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 8:32 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 1:00 AM, Alexander Korotkov
>> >
>> > Agreed. So should we move it to 19.11 Client Connection Defaults in
>> > doc as well? And I think it's better if this option places next to
>> > other vacuum options for finding easier. Attached patch changes them
>> > so. Please review it.
>>
>> Right, thank you.  Looks good for me.
>> I'm going to commit this if no objections.
>
> Pushed.

Thank you!

> Regarding maximum value for vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor.  I
> think introducing special value with "never cleanup" meaning would be
> overkill for post feature freeze enhancement.

After more thought, adding a threshold to invoke index cleanups
perhaps work in order to support "never cleanup", it will be
PostgreSQL 12 item though. If a index has less tuples than the
threshold (say, vacuum_cleanup_index_threshold), index cleanups never
be executed.

> So, I propose to just
> increase maximum value for both GUC and reloption.  See the attached
> patch.  It also changes calculations _bt_vacuum_needs_cleanup() for
> better handling of large values (just some kind of overflow paranoia).

The patch looks good to me.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada