Re: [HACKERS] GUC for cleanup indexes threshold.

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: [HACKERS] GUC for cleanup indexes threshold.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 12:00 PM Alexander Korotkov
<a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 8:32 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 1:00 AM, Alexander Korotkov
> > > Ok.  I've rephrased comment a bit.  Also, you created "index vacuum"
> > > subsection in the "resource usage" section.  I think it's not
> > > appropriate for this option to be in "resource usage".  Ideally it
> > > should be grouped with other vacuum options, but we don't have single
> > > section for that.  "Autovacuum" section is also not appropriate,
> > > because this guc works not only for autovacuum.  So, most semantically
> > > close options, which affects vacuum in general, are
> > > vacuum_freeze_min_age, vacuum_freeze_table_age,
> > > vacuum_multixact_freeze_min_age and vacuum_multixact_freeze_table_age,
> > > which are located in "client connection defaults" section.  So, I
> > > decided to move this GUC into this section.  I also change the section
> > > in GUC definition (guc.c) from AUTOVACUUM to CLIENT_CONN_STATEMENT.
> >
> > Agreed. So should we move it to 19.11 Client Connection Defaults in
> > doc as well? And I think it's better if this option places next to
> > other vacuum options for finding easier. Attached patch changes them
> > so. Please review it.
>
> Right, thank you.  Looks good for me.
> I'm going to commit this if no objections.

Pushed.

Regarding maximum value for vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor.  I
think introducing special value with "never cleanup" meaning would be
overkill for post feature freeze enhancement.  So, I propose to just
increase maximum value for both GUC and reloption.  See the attached
patch.  It also changes calculations _bt_vacuum_needs_cleanup() for
better handling of large values (just some kind of overflow paranoia).

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company

Вложения