Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Дата
Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 10:25 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> > > Don't people do physical replication / HA pretty much all the time?
> >
> > Strictly speaking, that isn't actually crash recovery, it's physical
> > replication / HA, and while those are certainly nice to have it's no
> > guarantee that they're required or that you'd want to have the same keys
> > for them- conceptually, at least, you could have WAL with one key that
> > both sides know and then different keys for the actual data files, if we
> > go with the approach where the WAL is encrypted with one key and then
> > otherwise is plaintext.
>
> Uh, yes, you could have two encryption keys in the data directory, one
> for heap/indexes, one for WAL, both unlocked with the same passphrase,
> but what would be the value in that?

> > > Well, we also do collect statistics on the data, for example. But even
> > > if we assume we wouldn't do that for encrypted indexes (which seems like
> > > a pretty bad idea to me), you'd probably end up leaking information
> > > about ordering of the values. Which is generally a pretty serious
> > > information leak, AFAICS.
> >
> > I agree entirely that order information would be bad to leak- but this
> > is all new ground here and we haven't actually sorted out what such a
> > partially encrypted btree would look like.  We don't actually have to
> > have the down-links in the tree be unencrypted to allow vacuuming of
> > leaf pages, after all.
>
> Agreed, but I think we kind of know that the value in cluster-wide
> encryption is different from multi-key encryption --- both have their
> value, but right now cluster-wide is the easiest and simplest, and
> probably meets more user needs than multi-key encryption.  If others
> want to start scoping out what multi-key encryption would look like, we
> can discuss it.  I personally would like to focus on cluster-wide
> encryption for PG 13.

I agree that cluster-wide is more simpler but I'm not sure that it
meets real needs from users. One example is re-encryption; when the
key leakage happens, in cluster-wide encryption we end up with doing
re-encrypt whole database regardless the amount of user sensitive data
in database. I think it's a big constraint for users because it's
common that the amount of data such as master table that needs to be
encrypted doesn't account for a large potion of database. That's one
reason why I think more fine granularity encryption such as
table/tablespace is required.

And in terms of feature development we would implement
fine-granularity encryption in the future even if the first step is
cluster-wide encryption? And both TDEs encrypt the same kind of
database objects (i.e. only  tables , indexes and WAL)? If so, how
does users  use them depending on cases?

I imagined the case where we had the cluster-wide encryption as the
first TDE feature. We will enable TDE at initdb time by specifying the
command-line parameter for TDE. Then TDE is enabled in cluster wide
and all tables/indexes and WAL are automatically encrypted. Then, if
we want to implement the more fine granularity encryption how can we
make users use it? WAL encryption and tables/index encryption are
enabled at the same time but we want to enable encryption for
particular tables/indexes after initdb. If the cluster-wide encryption
is something like a short-cut of encrypting all tables/indexes, I
personally think that implementing the more fine granularity one first
and then using it to achieve the more coarse granularity would be more
easier.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada