Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug  9, 2019 at 11:51:23PM +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> I agree that cluster-wide is more simpler but I'm not sure that it
> meets real needs from users. One example is re-encryption; when the
> key leakage happens, in cluster-wide encryption we end up with doing
> re-encrypt whole database regardless the amount of user sensitive data
> in database. I think it's a big constraint for users because it's
> common that the amount of data such as master table that needs to be
> encrypted doesn't account for a large potion of database. That's one
> reason why I think more fine granularity encryption such as
> table/tablespace is required.
>
> And in terms of feature development we would implement
> fine-granularity encryption in the future even if the first step is
> cluster-wide encryption? And both TDEs encrypt the same kind of
> database objects (i.e. only  tables , indexes and WAL)? If so, how
> does users  use them depending on cases?
>
> I imagined the case where we had the cluster-wide encryption as the
> first TDE feature. We will enable TDE at initdb time by specifying the
> command-line parameter for TDE. Then TDE is enabled in cluster wide
> and all tables/indexes and WAL are automatically encrypted. Then, if
> we want to implement the more fine granularity encryption how can we
> make users use it? WAL encryption and tables/index encryption are
> enabled at the same time but we want to enable encryption for
> particular tables/indexes after initdb. If the cluster-wide encryption
> is something like a short-cut of encrypting all tables/indexes, I
> personally think that implementing the more fine granularity one first
> and then using it to achieve the more coarse granularity would be more
> easier.

I don't know how to move this thread forward, so I am going to try to
explain how I view it.  People want feature X and feature Y.  Feature X
seems straight-forward to implement, use, and seems secure.  Feature Y
is none of those, so far.

When I explain that feature X is the direction we should go in for PG
13, people give more reasons they want feature Y, but don't give any
details about how the problems of implemention, use, and security can be
addressed.

I just don't see that continuing to discuss feature Y with no details in
how to implement it really helps, so I have no reply to these ideas.
People can talk about whatever feature they want on these lists, but I
have no way to help discussions that don't address facts.

I will close with what I have already stated, that what people want, and
what we can reasonably accomplish, are two different things.