Re: [ADMIN] behavior of \dt and schemas

От John Scalia
Тема Re: [ADMIN] behavior of \dt and schemas
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Understood, but I would have suspected that the search_path value would have been expanded to report all the tables visible under each schema, and not mask any. It just surprised me a little.

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Friday, January 20, 2017, John Scalia <jayknowsunix@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, to me this is somewhat non-intuitive behavior, but maybe I'm all wet
>> here. Shouldn't \dt report all the tables it can see with the search_path
>> set to some value? And btw, this is was the behavior on 9.4.10, so if it's
>> changed in more recent versions, I haven't tested there yet.

> It shows the definition of the table you would be referencing if you used
> that name in a query.  This seems like a useful behavior.

Right --- according to our normal terminology, b.mytable is *not* visible,
because it is masked by a.mytable being ahead of it in the search path.
You'd have to write a qualified name to get at b.mytable.

You can write, eg, "\dt *.mytable" or "\dt *.*" if you would like it to
show tables that are not visible according to this rule.  Without a
dot in the pattern, \dt shows only visible tables, ie only the ones
you could name without putting a dot in the name.

Сообщение: Re: [ADMIN] behavior of \dt and schemas
Сообщение: Re: [ADMIN] behavior of \dt and schemas