Re: [R] Issues with RPostgres

От Abraham Mathew
Тема Re: [R] Issues with RPostgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general

"test" is not in the postgres database. In fact, there is no table or column named "test"

The user is "postgres" and the dbname is also "postgres"

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 4:13 PM, John McKown <john.archie.mckown@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 3:50 PM, Abraham Mathew <mathewanalytics@gmail.com> wrote:

Yeah, thought that could be an issue. Unfortunately, I've had issues setting a normal user id and then having postgres identify the password
associated with it. Using postgres was the only thing that worked.

## CONNECT TO LOCALHOST DATABASE:
drv <- dbDriver("PostgreSQL")
con <- dbConnect(drv, dbname="postgres", host='localhost',
                 port='5432', user='postgres', password='brothers')
dbDisconnect(con)

​OK. So, looking at the above, you are saying that the user is "postgres" and that the table "test" is in the database "postgres" (which is likely also owned by "postgres"). I'm unsure from your response that this is correct. Is "test" in the "postgres" data base? If not, you might get away with:

# replace proper-database in the following with the correct data base name, which contains the "test" table
con <- dbConnect(drv, dbname="proper-database", host="localhost", port='5432', user='postgres', password='brothers')

Normally, when I am logged in a myself, my code usually looks a bit like:

dbname <- Sys.info['user']; # the data base name in PostgreSQL is the same as my login id
con <- dbConnect(drv,dbname​=dbname); # connect to PostgreSQL on the local host as myself (implicit).
 ds_summary(con, "test", vars=c("Age"), y=c("Class"))

In my pg_hba.conf file, I have a line like:

local   all             all                                     trust

Which says that everyone coming in who are on the local host are automatically logged in as their Linux (in my case) id.

Your code is connecting via TCPIP because you have the host= & port= parameters. This is not normally needed for users running on the same physical machine as the PostgreSQL data base server. So I'm too lazy to do it [grin].

--

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

--
Abraham Mathew