Re: pg_checkpointer is not a verb or verb phrase

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: pg_checkpointer is not a verb or verb phrase
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 3:18 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 9:22 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> "checkpoint" is not a verb (right?), so would something like
> "pg_perform_checkpoint" rather than "pg_checkpoint" fit better in the
> larger picture?

It's true that the dictionary describes checkpoint as a noun, but I
think in a database context it is often used as a verb. One example is
the CHECKPOINT command itself: command names are all verbs, and
CHECKPOINT is a command name, so we're using it as a verb. Similarly I
think you can talk about needing to checkpoint the database. Therefore
I think pg_checkpoint is OK, and it has the advantage of being short.

+1 for pg_checkpoint on that -- let's not make it longer than necessary.

And yes, +1 for actually changing it. It's a lot cheaper to change it now than it will be in the future.  Yes, it would've been even cheaper to have already changed it, but we can't go back in time...