Re: pg_checkpointer is not a verb or verb phrase

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: pg_checkpointer is not a verb or verb phrase
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 9:22 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> "checkpoint" is not a verb (right?), so would something like
> "pg_perform_checkpoint" rather than "pg_checkpoint" fit better in the
> larger picture?

It's true that the dictionary describes checkpoint as a noun, but I
think in a database context it is often used as a verb. One example is
the CHECKPOINT command itself: command names are all verbs, and
CHECKPOINT is a command name, so we're using it as a verb. Similarly I
think you can talk about needing to checkpoint the database. Therefore
I think pg_checkpoint is OK, and it has the advantage of being short.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com