Re: Installation instructions vs binaries

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Installation instructions vs binaries
Дата
Список pgsql-docs

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 4:27 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> And I think Davids comment about repetitive language would apply to yours
> as well, and should maybe be simplified there too?

Per the discussion in the other thread, we concluded that being repetitive
was the only way to be sure people would see the material at all.
If you look at

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/runtime.html

a lot of people are going to follow one of the section links before
they ever see any of the chapter head material.

I think we're talking about a different repetitiveness. If I apply Davids suggestion to that patch, then instead of:

+  <para>
+   If you are using a pre-packaged version
+   of <productname>PostgreSQL</productname>, it may well have a specific
+   convention for where to place the data directory, and it may also
+   provide a script for creating the data directory.  In that case you

It would say something like
Pre-packaged versions of PostgreSQL may have a specific convention....

(rest unchanged).

//Magnus

Сообщение: Re: Installation instructions vs binaries
Сообщение: Re: Installation instructions vs binaries