Re: Estimating HugePages Requirements?

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Estimating HugePages Requirements?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 7:23 PM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 12:42 AM Don Seiler <don@seiler.us> wrote:
> >
> > I'm told other factors contribute to this additional memory requirement, such as max_connections, wal_buffers, etc.
I'mwondering if anyone has been able to come up with a reliable method for determining the HugePages requirements for a
PGcluster based on the GUC values (that would be known at deployment time).

> It also depends on modules like pg_stat_statements and their own
> configuration.  I think that you can find the required size that your
> current configuration will allocate with:
>
> SELECT sum(allocated_size) FROM pg_shmem_allocations ;

I wonder how hard it would be to for example expose that through a
commandline switch or tool.

The point being that in order to run the query you suggest, the server
must already be running. There is no way to use this to estimate the
size that you're going to need after changing the value of
shared_buffers, which is a very common scenario. (You can change it,
restart without using huge pages because it fails, run that query,
change huge pages, and restart again -- but that's not exactly...
convenient)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/

Сообщение: Re: Estimating HugePages Requirements?
Сообщение: Re: Estimating HugePages Requirements?