Re: pgadmin-for-web is going nowhere

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: pgadmin-for-web is going nowhere
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 8:26 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
On 07/14/2017 08:04 AM, Robert Eckhardt wrote:
> Josh,
>
> I'd be interested in knowing what specific things could be done to make
> you think that the Web version is no longer the 'ugly stepchild'.
>
> If I consider our (Pivotal's) current development process then the most
> honest thing we could say is that the desktop application is our
> afterthought. All of our development is done in the browser, our
> acceptance environment is an application pushed into a garden container
> hosted in the cloud.
>
> Admittedly, we haven't focused on the installation experience so if you
> could explain why it is so painful we could look at merging some of the
> things we are doing for acceptance into the application itself for
> distribution.

Well, the immediate issues are addressed in two tickets:

https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/2496

https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/2495

The summary of these is that, out of the box, the existing RPMs install
200MB of extra software and don't result in a working install.

There is another, major issue I didn't attempt to address, which is
offering a less-heavyweight webserver option than Apache HTTPD, mainly
for container-based deployment.  I don't have a strong candidate for
this which is well-maintained upstream, though, because of the
single-process requirement.  There's a bunch of simple-python
appservers, but none of them are well-packaged and maintained.

I don't know how simple you consider uwsgi, but it's certainly well packaged and maintained in my experience. Now granted that experience is mostly on debian based platform so it might differ on redhat families, but it seems likely.