Re: pgadmin-for-web is going nowhere

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: pgadmin-for-web is going nowhere
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
On 07/14/2017 08:04 AM, Robert Eckhardt wrote:
> Josh,
>
> I'd be interested in knowing what specific things could be done to make
> you think that the Web version is no longer the 'ugly stepchild'.
>
> If I consider our (Pivotal's) current development process then the most
> honest thing we could say is that the desktop application is our
> afterthought. All of our development is done in the browser, our
> acceptance environment is an application pushed into a garden container
> hosted in the cloud.
>
> Admittedly, we haven't focused on the installation experience so if you
> could explain why it is so painful we could look at merging some of the
> things we are doing for acceptance into the application itself for
> distribution.

Well, the immediate issues are addressed in two tickets:

https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/2496

https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/2495

The summary of these is that, out of the box, the existing RPMs install
200MB of extra software and don't result in a working install.

There is another, major issue I didn't attempt to address, which is
offering a less-heavyweight webserver option than Apache HTTPD, mainly
for container-based deployment.  I don't have a strong candidate for
this which is well-maintained upstream, though, because of the
single-process requirement.  There's a bunch of simple-python
appservers, but none of them are well-packaged and maintained.

--
Josh Berkus
Containers & Databases Oh My!

Сообщение: Re: pgadmin-for-web is going nowhere
Сообщение: Re: pgadmin-for-web is going nowhere