Re: pgadmin-for-web is going nowhere

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: pgadmin-for-web is going nowhere
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
On 07/14/2017 01:01 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> Setting up in server mode by following those docs takes just a few minutes.
>

>     Six months ago, I jumped on this with the goal of solving it, partly
>     through use of linux containers.  However, I'm full stop because of the
>     emphasis on (a) having only one package which is both desktop and web,
>     and (b) treating the web version as the ugly stepchild.
>

> It's not an ugly step-child - it's a non-default configuration because
> the majority of users use desktop mode. There's a big difference.

Er, no, there's not.  That's *exactly* what I mean by "ugly-step-child".The current project attitude is "we test
desktopmode, and if web mode

works, well, that's a happy accident."

I'm not going to recommend pgadmin-for-web to anyone under those
circumstances.  And *of course* the majority of users use desktop mode,
given that web mode doesn't work out of the box, and sometimes doesn't
work at all.

>     As such, I'm done.  When y'all decide to get real with caring about
>     users' ability to install pgadmin for web, ping me.
>

> Oh, we care. That's why it's well documented and takes just a few easy
> steps - and why for some time now I've been wracking my brain about ways
> to make it even easier.

Here's how to make it easier: don't require steps.  Really.  If someone
installs pgadmin-for-web using RPMs or Debs, it should Just Work.  The
changes in the tickets I filed will make that happen for the RPMs,
except that you rejected them as WONTFIX.

Part of the problem there is that the pgadmin-for-web RPM spec really
needs to be completely separate from pgadmin-for-desktop.

> There are a bunch of pgAdmin containers on
> Docker Hub available, few, if any of which were setup with the help of
> our mailing lists, so it's presumably not that hard to do. Either that
> or the Docker guys have thicker skins than the Project Atomic guys :-)

That's because docker hub is the "wild west" where people are willing to
hack whatever toghether whether or not it's maintainable or updated. For
the Fedora & CentOS projects, there's requirements that builds have to
be 100% reproduceable, which most of the time means RPMs.  My goal was
to make pgadmin-for-web available officially on Fedora & CentOS, and
that's what I'm giving up on.

--
Josh Berkus
Containers & Databases Oh My!

Сообщение: Re: pgadmin-for-web is going nowhere
Сообщение: Re: pgadmin-for-web is going nowhere