Re: Don'st start streaming after creating a slot in pg_receivexlog

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Don'st start streaming after creating a slot in pg_receivexlog
Дата
Re: Don'st start streaming after creating a slot in pg_receivexlog  (Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Hmm. pg_receivelogical is basically a debugging tool. I don't think anyone
> will have it integrated into production scripts etc. So maybe we could just
> change it.

This sounds good to me as well.

> I'm not sure I understand the proposal though.

In short, I would propose the following:
- Have --create-slot only create a slot, then exit for both
pg_recvlogical and pg_receivexlog.
- Have --drop-slot drop a slot, then exit.
- Remove the --start switch in pg_recvlogical, and let the utility
start streaming by default.
By doing so both utilities will behave similarly with the same set of options.

> If you don't specify
> --create-slot, nor --start, what would the program do? Nothing?

Complain if neither --create-slot nor --drop-slot nor --start are specified:
$ pg_recvlogical -f - --slot toto -d postgres
pg_recvlogical: at least one action needs to be specified
Try "pg_recvlogical --help" for more information.
$ echo $?
1
--
Michael