Re: Don'st start streaming after creating a slot in pg_receivexlog

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Don'st start streaming after creating a slot in pg_receivexlog
Дата
Re: Don'st start streaming after creating a slot in pg_receivexlog  (Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 07/29/2015 10:58 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
>> On 07/29/2015 10:37 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
>>>
>>> Heikki complained about pg_receivexlog --create-slot starting to stream
>>> in his talk in St. Petersburg. Saying that that makes it a hard to
>>> script feature - and I have to agree. Since that option is new to 9.5 we
>>> can should change that behaviour now if we decide to.
>>
>> To be clear, I think "pg_receivexlog --create-slot" should only create the
>> slot, and exit.
>
> Even if I would like to make pg_recvlogical and pg_receivexlog behave
> as similarly as possible by having an additional switch --start in
> pg_receivexlog to control if it starts to stream or not, this ship has
> already sailed for backward-compatibility's sake... Then let's just
> create the slot and exit().

Hmm. pg_receivelogical is basically a debugging tool. I don't think
anyone will have it integrated into production scripts etc. So maybe we
could just change it.

I'm not sure I understand the proposal though. If you don't specify
--create-slot, nor --start, what would the program do? Nothing?

- Heikki