Re: Request for vote to move forward with recovery.conf overhaul

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Request for vote to move forward with recovery.conf overhaul
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, that is one of the most important patches in the list, and I could put
> some effort in it for either review or coding.

I think it would be great if you could elaborate on your reasons for
feeling that this patch is particularly important.
Sure. recovery.conf has been initially created for PITR management, but since 9.0 and the introduction of streaming replication it is being used for too many things that it was first targeting for, like now it can be used to define where a slave can connect to a root node, fetch the archives, etc. I am seeing for a long time on hackers (2010?) that postgres should make the move on giving up recovery.conf and merge it with postgresql.conf.

I didn't know about the existence of a patch aimed to merge the parameters of postgresql.conf and recovery.conf,  and, just by looking at the patch, half of the work looks to be already done. I thought it might be worth to at least update the patch or provide some feedback.

I agree that this might break backward-compatibility and that it would be more suited for a 10.0(?), but as 9.3 development is already close to its end, progressing on this discussion and decide whether this could be shipped for 9.3 or later release is important. If it is decided to give up on this feature, well let's do that later. If it is worth the shot, let's put some effort for it.
--
Michael Paquier
http://michael.otacoo.com

Сообщение: Re: Prepared statements fail after schema changes with surprising error
Сообщение: Re: Prepared statements fail after schema changes with surprising error