Re: pg_dump does not include database-level user-defined GUC variables?

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: pg_dump does not include database-level user-defined GUC variables?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 8:43 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Abelard Hoffman <abelardhoffman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I have a user-defined GUC variable that was set at the db level. e.g.,
>> >
>> >   ALTER DATABASE mydb SET myapp.user_id TO '1'
>> >
>> > Works fine. When I do a pg_dump, however, that variable isn't included.
>> > Is that expected? It's not really an attribute of the database?
>>
>> That sort of information *about the database* is stored at the
>> cluster level, not in the database itself.  Take a look at
>> pg_dumpall.
>

> aha, I though it is bug
That's a feature :)

> I don't think so this design is well - this settings is strictly related to
> database. So there should be some option for dumping these options too.

It would be tempting to include parameters of pg_db_role_setting where
role setrole = 0 by default and I recall that there have been some
debate about that as well (this would roughly need to move
dumpDatabaseConfig out of pg_dumpall.c in a more generic place), but
nothing has actually been done. Note that this information is included
in pg_dumpall without -g either way.
Regards,
--
Michael