Re: disk testing

От Lacey Powers
Тема Re: disk testing
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

I have found badblocks useful as well for testing the health of disks. You can find it on the System Rescue CD

http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage

And here is a description of it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badblocks

Hope that helps. :)

Lacey

On Jul 26, 2014 8:25 AM, "Jan Lentfer" <Jan.Lentfer@web.de> wrote:

> Am 26.07.2014 um 16:48 schrieb Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com>:
>
> What would you use to write/read/verify every sector of a hard disk? (I'm interested in really testing a disk, not in being lied to by S.M.A.R.T.)
>
> Given what I've got spare for testing, either a Win7 application, or some LiveCD would be most convenient.

Any Linux or BSD LiveCD should come with dd. Still you should save a copy of smartctl output before you run dd and compare it to smartctl output after running dd, if dd finishes without error at all.

Jan