Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 8:08 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 5:40 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> >
> > Even after changing to scale 500, the performance benefits on this,
> > older 2 socket, machine were minor; even though contention on the
> > ClogControlLock was the second most severe (after ProcArrayLock).

One more point, I wanted to say here which is that I think the benefit will be shown mainly when the ClogControlLock has contention more than or near to ProcArrayLock, otherwise even if patch reduces contention (you can see via LWLock stats), the performance doesn't increase.  From Mithun's data [1], related to LWLocks, it seems like at 88 clients in his test, the contention on CLOGControlLock becomes more than ProcArrayLock and that is the point where it has started showing noticeable performance gain.  I have explained some more on that thread [2] about this point.  Is it possible for you to once test in similar situation and see the behaviour (like for client count greater than number of cores) w.r.t locking contention and TPS.