Re: [HACKERS] Broken hint bits (freeze)

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Broken hint bits (freeze)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 11:03 PM, Sergey Burladyan <eshkinkot@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Yeah, we have ensured that all the transactions before shutdown
>> > checkpoint got archived.  It is done in commit
>> > 2e6107cb621d003dcab0df53ac8673ea67c4e467.  However, it is not clear to
>> > me neither it is mentioned in comments why we have done it that way.
>>
>> Yes, I am confused why Sergey doesn't see that behavior.

The behavior reported by Sergey is what is expected i.e the last file
in which shutdown checkpoint record is written won't be archived and
there is a reason behind that.  We always perform shutdown checkpoint
(which will write shutdown checkpoint record) after requesting a xlog
switch.  Any record written after xlog switch won't be archived unless
it is so big that it consumes complete xlog segment.

> I think this last new switched WAL with shutdown checkpoint record is
> incomplete and it does not marked as *.ready in pg_xlog/archive_status/
> and not archived.

Yes, that's true and is expected behavior.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.