Re: [HACKERS] Broken hint bits (freeze)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Broken hint bits (freeze)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 08:34:47AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:

> >> Yes, I am confused why Sergey doesn't see that behavior.
> >

> The behavior reported by Sergey is what is expected i.e the last file
> in which shutdown checkpoint record is written won't be archived and
> there is a reason behind that.  We always perform shutdown checkpoint
> (which will write shutdown checkpoint record) after requesting a xlog
> switch.  Any record written after xlog switch won't be archived unless
> it is so big that it consumes complete xlog segment.
>
> > I think this last new switched WAL with shutdown checkpoint record is
> > incomplete and it does not marked as *.ready in pg_xlog/archive_status/
> > and not archived.
> >

> Yes, that's true and is expected behavior.

OK, so our pg_upgrade documentation is currently incorrect:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/pgupgrade.html8. Verify standby serversIf you are upgrading Streaming
Replicationand Log-Shipping standbyservers, verify that the old standby servers are caught up by runningpg_controldata
againstthe old primary and standby clusters. Verify thatthe "Latest checkpoint location" values match in all clusters.
(Therewillbe a mismatch if old standby servers were shut down before the oldprimary.)

We are saying that Log-Shipping should match "Latest checkpoint
location", but the WAL for that will not be sent to the standby, so it
will not match, but that is OK since the only thing in the non-shipped
WAL file is the checkpoint record.  How should we modify the wording on
this?

http://enterprisedb.com