Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk (hash_mem)

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk (hash_mem)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 7:28 AM David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd really like to see this thread move forward to a solution and I'm
> not sure how best to do that. I started by reading back over both this
> thread and the original one and tried to summarise what people have
> suggested.

Thanks, I think this might help us in reaching some form of consensus
by seeing what most people prefer.

> I understand some people did change their minds along the way, so I
> may have made some mistakes. I could have assumed the latest mindset
> overruled, but it was harder to determine that due to the thread being
> split.
>

> For hash_mem = Justin [16], PeterG [15], Tomas [7]
> hash_mem out of scope for PG13 = Bruce [8], Andres [9]

+1 for hash_mem out of scope for PG13.  Apart from the reasons you
have mentioned above, the other reason is if this is a way to allow
users to get a smooth experience for hash aggregates, then I think the
idea proposed by Robert is not yet ruled out and we should see which
one is better.  OTOH, if we want to see this as a way to give smooth
experience for current use cases for hash aggregates and improve the
situation for hash joins as well then I think this seems to be a new
behavior which should be discussed for PG14.  Having said that, I am
not saying this is not a good idea but just I don't think we should
pursue it for PG13.

> Wait for reports from users = Amit [10]

I think this is mostly inline with Bruce is intending to say ("Maybe
do nothing until we see how things go during beta").  So, probably we
can club the votes.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+TgmobyV9+T-Wjx-cTPdQuRCgt1THz1mL3v1NXC4m4G-H6Rcw@mail.gmail.com

--
With Regards,