Re: speed up a logical replica setup

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 2:49 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:

> On 11.01.24 23:15, Euler Taveira wrote:
> > A new tool called pg_subscriber can convert a physical replica into a
> > logical replica. It runs on the target server and should be able to
> > connect to the source server (publisher) and the target server (subscriber).
>
> Can we have a discussion on the name?
>
> I find the name pg_subscriber too general.
>
> The replication/backup/recovery tools in PostgreSQL are usually named
> along the lines of "verb - object".  (Otherwise, they would all be
> called "pg_backup"??)  Moreover, "pg_subscriber" also sounds like the
> name of the program that runs the subscriber itself, like what the
> walreceiver does now.
>
> Very early in this thread, someone mentioned the name
> pg_create_subscriber, and of course there is pglogical_create_subscriber
> as the historical predecessor.  Something along those lines seems better
> to me.  Maybe there are other ideas.

The other option could be pg_createsubscriber on the lines of
pg_verifybackup and pg_combinebackup. Yet other options could be
pg_buildsubscriber, pg_makesubscriber as 'build' or 'make' in the name
sounds like we are doing some work to create the subscriber which I
think is the case here.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Сообщение: Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Сообщение: Re: speed up a logical replica setup