Re: PostgreSQL website redesign

От Thom Brown
Тема Re: PostgreSQL website redesign
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 19 November 2011 17:12, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>
>> As you will no doubt be aware, the PostgreSQL website is overdue for a
>> fresh lick of paint, so we are planning to give it a new look in the
>> near future.
>
> It's not clear to me that redesigning the website will give us
> anything at all, but it will definitely drain time and focus away from
> things like writing patches or working out clear and workable designs
> for new features.

Well we can't abandon one area of the project just because there's
another area that's considered more important than everything else.
The community is constantly involved in arranging conferences and PUG
meetups, infrastructure changes and assisting others with general
PostgreSQL problems.  And likewise, this is another are of the project
that not everyone will necessarily be interested in.

> The existing design works just fine in every way, so "we" are not
> unhappy. In fact the existing site is fairly well tuned with many
> people's feedback and pixel level arguments now done and dusted.

Well it's 7 years old now.  It could be argued that people will see
the same PostgreSQL that they saw 7 years ago.  As such, we haven't
progressed, innovated or become modern in any way.  The current design
could be seen as PostgreSQL stagnating and been neglected.  Design
communicates as well as words.  Ours may be saying "nothing new to see
here".  Of course, changing too often would have an equally negative
effect, suggesting that we're inconsistent, unstable and can't make up
our minds.

> We do need some marketing, but redesigning websites without purpose is
> not marketing.
>
> Please state the reasons you think a redesign is worth the effort. And
> how that is a priority over spending the same time and money on actual
> marketing, i.e. external contacts, whitepapers, press and such like. I
> grant that is likely more fun to redesign a website but that doesn't
> make it worthwhile.

This is probably something -core would like to give a more complete
answer on since it was their decision.  But my views are as above.

Regards

Thom

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL website redesign
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL website redesign