Re: PostgreSQL website redesign

От Thom Brown
Тема Re: PostgreSQL website redesign
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 19 November 2011 23:47, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 7:10 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> So with that, I'd like to open this topic for discussion.
>
> First, thanks for taking an interest in this. Here's my $0.02.
>
> The website is in sore need of attention, but a large-scale redesign
> of the look-and-feel (which is what your description sounds like
> you're angling for -- correct me if I'm mistaken) isn't what's most
> needed.

Large-scale redesign is probably overstating the changes.  Our site
isn't huge, and there's probably only a handful of types of page.

> IMHO, basic maintenance issues are more pressing. For example, why do
> we keep out-of-date information about defunct alpha/beta releases
>  http://www.postgresql.org/developer/alpha

Already addressed.  The new code for the site just hasn't been launched yet.

> hanging around? Or much worse, the recently-discussed problem with
> subscribing to the mailing lists, which from a post a few days ago on
> -hackers sounds like it's still broken. That's got to be a *huge*
> turnoff to a potential new member of the community, when just signing
> up for the list hangs and appears broken.

Never heard of that problem, but that's a matter for the web team.

> A few adjustments to the docs pages could go a long way. (I read the
> Postgres docs online extensively, so I have admittedly strong feelings
> about this area). The layout (i.e. CSS) of the pages themselves is
> decent enough. I'd like to see cross-links between the /static/ and
> /interactive/ pages. I'd also like to see cross-links between the docs
> pages to the other versions (e.g. the 9.0 version of the UPDATE page
> should also link to 9.1 and perhaps 8.4, 8.3, and 9.2). The Django
> docs handle this nicely. This would likely also help the
> Google-ability of doc pages for newly-released versions.

Like I've said previously, this is more a content issue.  The design
can be made with such functionality in mind, but the designer wouldn't
implement such changes.

> And comments posted to the doc pages from version X.Y should be
> visible on the corresponding doc page for version A.B. I like the PHP
> docs in this regard, though they don't break out their docs by
> version. (Assuming posting comments on the web docs still works at
> all.. I have a dim memory of posted comments disappearing).

Again, another issue/feature request for the web team.

Thom

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL website redesign
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL website redesign