Re: xid wraparound danger due to INDEX_CLEANUP false

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: xid wraparound danger due to INDEX_CLEANUP false
Дата
Re: xid wraparound danger due to INDEX_CLEANUP false  (Masahiko Sawada <masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 7 May 2020 at 16:26, Masahiko Sawada
<masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 May 2020 at 15:40, Masahiko Sawada
> <masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 7 May 2020 at 03:28, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:

> > > That's only true in nbtree, though. The way that I imagined we'd want
> > > to fix this is by putting control in each index access method. So,
> > > we'd revise the way that amvacuumcleanup() worked -- the
> > > amvacuumcleanup routine for each index AM would sometimes be called in
> > > a mode that means "I don't really want you to do any cleanup, but if
> > > you absolutely have to for your own reasons then you can". This could
> > > be represented using something similar to
> > > IndexVacuumInfo.analyze_only.
> > >
> > > This approach has an obvious disadvantage: the patch really has to
> > > teach *every* index AM to do something with that state (most will
> > > simply do no work). It seems logical to have the index AM control what
> > > happens, though. This allows the logic to live inside
> > > _bt_vacuum_needs_cleanup() in the case of nbtree, so there is only one
> > > place where we make decisions like this.
> > >
> > > Most other AMs don't have this problem. GiST has a similar issue with
> > > recyclable pages, except that it doesn't use 32-bit XIDs so it doesn't
> > > need to care about this stuff at all. Besides, it seems like it might
> > > be a good idea to do other basic maintenance of the index when we're
> > > "skipping" index cleanup. We probably should always do things that
> > > require only a small, fixed amount of work. Things like maintaining
> > > metadata in the metapage.
> > >
> > > There may be practical reasons why this approach isn't suitable for
> > > backpatch even if it is a superior approach. What do you think?
> >
> > I agree this idea is better. I was thinking the same approach but I
> > was concerned about backpatching. Especially since I was thinking to
> > add one or two fields to IndexVacuumInfo existing index AM might not
> > work with the new VacuumInfo structure.
>
> It would be ok if we added these fields at the end of VacuumInfo structure?

I've attached WIP patch for HEAD. With this patch, the core pass
index_cleanup to bulkdelete and vacuumcleanup callbacks so that they
can make decision whether run vacuum or not.

If the direction of this patch seems good, I'll change the patch so
that we pass something information to these callbacks indicating
whether this vacuum is anti-wraparound vacuum. This is necessary
because it's enough to invoke index cleanup before XID wraparound as
per discussion so far.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada            http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/