Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 8 May 2014 13:48, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:

>> We have multiple use cases where an alternate data structure could be
>> used to speed up queries.
>
> I don't view on-GPU memory as being an alternate *permanent* data store.

As I've said, others have expressed an interest in placing specific
data on specific external resources that we would like to use to speed
up queries. That might be termed a "cache" of various kinds or it
might be simply be an allocation of that resource to a specific
purpose.

If we forget GPUs, that leaves multiple use cases that do fit the description.

> Perhaps that's the disconnect that we have here, as it was my
> understanding that we're talking about using GPUs to make queries run
> faster where the data comes from regular tables.

I'm trying to consider a group of use cases, so we get a generic API
that is useful to many people, not just to one use case. I had
understood the argument to be there must be multiple potential users
of an API before we allow it.