Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Simon Riggs (simon@2ndQuadrant.com) wrote:
> On 8 May 2014 03:36, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > I'm all for making use of MatViews and GPUs, but there's more than one
> > way to get there and look-asides feels like pushing the decision,
> > unnecessarily, on to the user.
>
> I'm not sure I understand where most of your comments come from, so
> its clear we're not talking about the same things yet.
>
> We have multiple use cases where an alternate data structure could be
> used to speed up queries.

I don't view on-GPU memory as being an alternate *permanent* data store.
Perhaps that's the disconnect that we have here, as it was my
understanding that we're talking about using GPUs to make queries run
faster where the data comes from regular tables.

> My goal is to use the alternate data structure(s)

Pluggable storage is certainly interesting, but I view that as
independent of the CustomPlan-related work.

> which I now understand is different from the main thrust of Kaigai's
> proposal, so I will restate this later on another thread.

Sounds good.
Thanks,
    Stephen