Re: postgresql.auto.conf read from wrong directory

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: postgresql.auto.conf read from wrong directory
Дата
Re: postgresql.auto.conf read from wrong directory
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> if you split configuration and data by setting data_directory,
>> postgresql.auto.conf is writen to the data directory
>> (/var/lib/postgresql/9.4/main in Debian), but tried to be read from
>> the etc directory (/etc/postgresql/9.4/main).
>>
>> One place to fix it would be in ProcessConfigFile in
>> src/backend/utils/misc/guc-file.l:162 by always setting
>> CallingFileName = NULL in src/backend/utils/misc/guc-file.l:162, but
>> that breaks later in AbsoluteConfigLocation() when data_directory is
>> NULL. (As the comment in ProcessConfigFile says.)
>
> This problem occurs because we don't have the value of data_directory
> set in postgresql.conf by the time we want to parse .auto.conf file
> during server start.  The value of data_directory is only available after
> processing of config files.  To fix it, we need to store the value of
> data_directory during parse of postgresql.conf file so that we can use it
> till data_directory is actually set.  Attached patch fixes the problem.
> Could you please once confirm if it fixes the problem in your
> env./scenario.

Maybe this is nitpicking, but what happens when postgresql.auto.conf also
includes the setting of data_directory? This is possible because we can
set data_directory via ALTER SYSTEM now. Should we just ignore such
problematic setting in postgresql.auto.conf with warning message?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao