Re: Multi-xacts and our process problem

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Multi-xacts and our process problem
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 7:04 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I think there's nobody, or at least very few people, who are getting
> paid to find/fix bugs rather than write cool new features.  This is
> problematic.  It doesn't help when key committers are overwhelmed by
> trying to process other peoples' patches.  (And no, I'm not sure that
> "appoint more committers" would improve matters.  What we've got is
> too many barely-good-enough patches.  Tweaking the process to let those
> into the tree faster will not result in better quality.)

I agree, although generally I think committers are responsible for
fixing what they commit, and I've certainly dropped everything a few
times to do so.  And people who will someday become committers are
generally the sorts of people who do that, too.  Perhaps we've relied
overmuch on that in some cases - e.g. I really haven't paid much
attention to the multixact stuff until lately, because I assumed that
it was Alvaro's problem.  And maybe that's not right.  But I know that
when a serious bug is found in something I committed, I expect that if
anyone else fixes it, that's a bonus.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company