Re: [HACKERS] Declarative partitioning - another take

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Declarative partitioning - another take
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Peter Eisentraut
> On 1/25/17 12:54 AM, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
>> The documentation available at
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/sql-createtable.html,
>> does not make it clear that the lower bound of a range partition is
>> always inclusive and the higher one is exclusive. I think a note in
>> section " PARTITION OF parent_table FOR VALUES partition_bound_spec"
>> would be helpful.
>
> Hmm.  I see the practical use of that, but I think this is going to be a
> source of endless confusion.  Can we make that a bit clearer in the
> syntax, for example by using additional keywords (INCLUSIVE/EXCLUSIVE)?

I am not in favor of adding mandatory noise words to the syntax; it's
fairly verbose already.  I think it would be reasonable to eventually
consider supporting optional keywords to allow multiple behaviors, but
I don't think that the usefulness of that has been so firmly
established that we should do it right this minute.  I think there are
a heck of a lot of other things about this partitioning implementation
that are more urgently in need of improvement.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company