Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Mark JSON error detail messages for translation.

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Mark JSON error detail messages for translation.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 05:03:38 PM Robert Haas wrote:

>> > Um ... do you have a problem with that idea, and if so what?  It would
>> > be considerably more complicated to do it without a second pass.
>>
>> Could you explain how it's broken now, and why it will be hard to fix?
>>  People may well want to use a cast to JSON within an exception block
>> as a way of testing whether strings are valid JSON.  We should not
>> assume that the cost of an exception is totally irrelevant, because
>> this might be iterated.
> Exception blocks/subtransctions already are considerably expensive. I have a
> hard time believing this additional cost would be measureable.

According to my testing, the main cost of an exception block catching
a division-by-zero error is that of generating the error message,
primarily sprintf()-type stuff.  The cost of scanning a multi-megabyte
string seems likely to be much larger.

Mind you, I'm not going to spend a lot of time crying into my beer if
it turns out that there's no other reasonable way to implement this,
but I do think that it's entirely appropriate to ask why it's not
possible to do better.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company