Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for changes to recovery.conf API

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for changes to recovery.conf API
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 5:29 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> I am fine with the release note, or the release notes plus a link to a
> wiki, like we have done in the past with complex fixes in minor
> releases:
>
>         https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/20110408pg_upgrade_fix
>
> I think what we _don't_ want is the information _only_ in the wiki, nor
> do we want to carry around migration instructions in our docs forever.

I really don't see why we're resisting Josh's idea of putting a more
complex set of migration instructions in the documentation someplace.
Seems useful to me.  Sure, we'd have to "carry" it forever, but we
could make a policy of removing migration instructions for releases
that are now EOL.  And even if we didn't, it's not like extra
documentation comes with some big cost.  I think a lot of users would
benefit from a substantial expansion of our documentation, not just in
this area but in many other areas as well.  I bet that we could double
the size of the documentation and users would love it; the hard part
would be finding qualified people to write high-quality documentation
of all the things that aren't well-explained in the current docs.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company