Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for changes to recovery.conf API

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for changes to recovery.conf API
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/08/2016 04:16 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> On 12/01/2016 05:58 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> And in fairness, having such a "guide to changes" chapter in each
>>> release probably *would* be a good idea. But it would take resources to
>>> make that. The release notes are good, but having a more hand-holding
>>> version explaining incompatible changes in "regular sentences" would
>>> probably be quite useful to users.
>
>> We will have enough major changes in 10.0 to warrant writing one of
>> these.  Maybe not as part of the official docs, but as a set of wiki
>> pages or similar.
>
> Seems to me this is exactly the release notes' turf.  If you think the
> release notes aren't clear enough, step right up and help improve them.
>
> My own take on it is that the release notes are already a massive
> amount of work, and putting duplicative material in a bunch of other
> places isn't going to make things better, it'll just increase the
> maintenance burden.

This would mean adding literally pages of material to the release notes.
In the past, folks have been very negative on anything which would make
the release notes longer.  Are you sure?

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for changes to recovery.conf API
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for changes to recovery.conf API