Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for changes to recovery.conf API

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for changes to recovery.conf API
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 07:19:43PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 5:29 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > I am fine with the release note, or the release notes plus a link to a
> > wiki, like we have done in the past with complex fixes in minor
> > releases:
> >
> >         https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/20110408pg_upgrade_fix
> >
> > I think what we _don't_ want is the information _only_ in the wiki, nor
> > do we want to carry around migration instructions in our docs forever.
>
> I really don't see why we're resisting Josh's idea of putting a more
> complex set of migration instructions in the documentation someplace.
> Seems useful to me.  Sure, we'd have to "carry" it forever, but we
> could make a policy of removing migration instructions for releases
> that are now EOL.  And even if we didn't, it's not like extra
> documentation comes with some big cost.  I think a lot of users would
> benefit from a substantial expansion of our documentation, not just in
> this area but in many other areas as well.  I bet that we could double
> the size of the documentation and users would love it; the hard part
> would be finding qualified people to write high-quality documentation
> of all the things that aren't well-explained in the current docs.

Well, the item has a limited useful lifespan, and we could adjust the
wiki page between minor releases if we found problems/improvements.  I
suppose if we create a "Migration" section in the documentation it would
be harmless enough, but it is unclear what would be in there and what
would be in the release notes.  What would be the title of the
subsection for this?   "Migrating recovery.conf to Postgres 10?"  Maybe
make it a subsection of the release notes in the docs?

http://enterprisedb.com