Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
Дата
Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 13, 2024 at 4:54 PM Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> FTR, I have put a lot of effort into maintaining and improving the
> infrastructure over the years. And I don't think there is anything much
> more important. So I'm going to put more effort in. And I'm not alone.
> Andres, Alvaro, Noah and Thomas are some of those who have spent a lot
> of effort on extending and improving our testing.

I appreciate the work you've done, and the work others have done, and
I'm sorry if my comments about the state of the project's
infrastructure came across as a personal attack. Some of what is wrong
here is completely outside of our control e.g. Perl is less popular.
And even there, some people have done heroic work, like Noah stepping
up to help maintain IPC::Run. And even with the stuff that is under
our control, it's not that I don't like what you're doing. It's rather
that I think we need more people doing it. For example, the fact that
nobody's helping Thomas maintain this cfbot that we all have come to
rely on, or helping him get that integrated into
commitfest.postgresql.org, is a problem. You're not on the hook to do
that, nor is anyone else. Likewise, the PostgreSQL::Test::whatever
modules are mostly evolving when it's absolutely necessary to get some
other patch committed, rather than anyone looking to improve them very
much for their own sake. Maybe part of the problem, as Greg said, is
that we don't do a good enough job advertising what the problems are
or how people can help, but whatever the cause, it's not a very
enjoyable experience, at least for me.

But again, I don't blame you for any of that. You're clearly a big
part of why it's going as well as it is!

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
Сообщение: Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework