Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2024-06-12 We 18:43, Jelte Fennema-Nio wrote:

> I agree it's not a technical issue. It is a people issue. There are
> very few people skilled in Perl active in the community. And most of
> those are very senior hackers that have much more important things to
> do that make our Perl testing framework significantly better. And the
> less senior people that might see improving tooling as a way to get
> help out in the community, are try to stay away from Perl with a 10
> foot pole. So the result is, nothing gets improved. Especially since
> very few people outside our community improve this tooling either.

FTR, I have put a lot of effort into maintaining and improving the
infrastructure over the years. And I don't think there is anything much
more important. So I'm going to put more effort in. And I'm not alone.
Andres, Alvaro, Noah and Thomas are some of those who have spent a lot
of effort on extending and improving our testing.

People tend to get a bit hung up about languages. I lost count of the
various languages I had learned when it got somewhere north of 30.

Still, I understand that perl has a few oddities that make people
scratch their heads (as do most languages). It's probably losing market
share, along with some of the other things we rely on. Not sure that
alone is a reason to move away from it.

cheers

andrew

--